Sunday, September 4, 2016

Book Review: I Can Make My Own Accessories

For the past 2 1/2 years I have regularly gotten together with my now 7 year old granddaughter for regular craft dates. Like most children, she loves to sit down with me and do various arts & craft projects, many of which we've shared right here on the craft blog. Today, we are featuring a complimentary book that we received for review.

Title: I Can Make My Own Accessories
By: Thames & Hudson
ISBN: 978-0-500-65082-0

Synopsis: This book includes easy-to-follow patterns to make & customize fashion accessories. Make unique, stylish accessories with some fabric scraps, a few buttons & a ribbon. Create bags, belts, jewelry, hair accessories and more. Follow actual-size patterns, which are quick and easy to make. Super clear instructions aimed at beginners, with tips & tricks along the way.

My Thoughts: Wow, where do I begin with this one. My granddaughter is 7 1/2 years old and with my assistance she could make the majority of the projects featured in this book. While the projects inside are not my fashion style at all, they are perfect for her and for teenage to young adult women. Inside the pages you'll find instructions on:
- A Lip's Brooch
- Cat Ears
- A Bag Charm
- Festival Garland
- Pasta Necklace
- Braided Belt
- Jeweled Collar
- Kawaii Bear Bag

Along with design tips, techniques and tricks to help you get the projects done quickly and how you can customize several of them to suit your own needs. For example: I never knew how to dye pasta but thanks to this book, I do now! The pasta necklace project would be a great project for little girls and for those of you who teach scouting groups...this book would be great for you too.

In the back of the book they teach you how to use pom-poms to adorn socks, pony tail holders, to make jewelry, etc. I love the little ideas on how to use felt flowers to decorate sunglasses, barrettes, pony tail holders, hair clips, etc. All of the designs are super easy-to-make and whip up quickly.

You can learn more about this book and where you can purchase it by visiting Thames & Hudson online.

Disclosure: Shelly H. received a free complimentary copy of this book to review on her blog. No monetary compensation was received. Her thoughts, opinions and words are 100% her own and are unbiased and truthful opinions of the item she has reviewed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Leaving Me A Message! Happy Crafting :)