Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Free and Easy Crochet Child's Scarf Pattern


It is never too early to start working on holiday presents and my niece wants a scarf! So, I decided to get busy and make her one. This is a pattern I came up with myself and once your scarf is completed, it will measure approximately 72" long by 4" wide which makes it the perfect size for a soon to be 4 year old.

I made this scarf by crocheting it using a shell stitch pattern which I will explain below. It only took me a few hours to complete so it works up quickly.

Supplies Needed:

2 Different Colors of Yarn (I used black and turquoise)
Crochet Hook size F
Scissors
Sewing Needle to weave in the ends

Using my size F crochet hook, I chained 307 stitches which makes up the length of your scarf. I used black yarn for this and the following 2 rows.

How To Make A Shell Stitch: Shell stitches are made up when a foundation chain is in a multiple of 6 stitches plus 1, hence my chain row of 307 stitches. To begin a row of shell stitches, thread over and insert your crochet hook in 4th chain from your hook. Complete a double crochet (DC) and make another DC in this stitch. This makes a half shell, the very first step in a shell stitch row.

The correct order for a shell stitch row is as follows:

Beginning Row: Half shell (the turning chain and 2 DC in 4th stitch from hook).

Repeat as often as you wish: Skin the next 2 stitches, 1 single crochet (SC) in next stitch, skip the next 2 stitches, 1 shell stitch (5 DC in next stitch).

End of Row: Skip next 2 stitches, 1 SC in next stitch, to turn, chain 3.

Directions for Foundation Chain and Row 1: Chain 307 stitch and turn by DC in the 4th stitch from your hook along with 1 more DC in the same stitch. Skip the next 2 stitches and SC in the next. Repeat the shell stitch across for row 1 using black yarn. When you get to the end of the row, your last stitch should be a SC, chain 3 and turn.

Row 2: Still using black yarn, do the shell pattern across, ending with a SC.

Row 3: I switched to the Turquoise colored yarn and did the shell stitch across.

Rows 4 and 5: Using black yarn, do the shell stitch for both of these rows.

Row 6: repeat row 3 using the turquoise colored yarn.

Rows 7 and 8: Repeat rows 4 & 5 using your black yarn. Fasten Off and Weave in all ends.

Fringe: I cut 4" lengths of black and turquoise yarn and looped them into my ends to make the fringe. You can make this fringe full and lush by doubling up your yarns.

This scarf is machine wash/dry if you use acrylic yarn like I did and the perfect size for older toddlers. You can find more FREE crochet patterns my checking out my crochet category here on my blog.



1 comment:

Chris said...

I love this pattern Shelly. The little girl DS is watching just asked me last night for a scarf. I am going to use this pattern. Thanks!!

Post a Comment

Thank You For Leaving Me A Message! Happy Crafting :)