Monday, May 3, 2010

Felt Food - Chocolate Pie With Whipped Cream - Play Food


I wanted to make a few different sliced pie pieces for my grand daughters felt food play set that I have been making and today I decided to try to make a slice of chocolate pie with whipped topping with a little cherry on top. This was my third attempt at making a slice of pie and over-all, it came out pretty good. Its not fancy and elaborate, just simply thrown together.

I did not use a pattern to make it so I will tell you how I did it so you can make one yourself.

Felt Sliced Chocolate Pie - Supplies Used:

Dark Brown, White and Red Craft Felt
Dark Brown, White and Red Embroidery Floss
2 1/2 hand fulls of stuffing
Embroidery Needle, Scissors

I started off by drawing a triangle on a piece of paper. Mine measures approx. 4 1/2" long by 3" wide at its widest point. However, you can make yours as small or as large as you would like.

I used this triangle to cut out 2 triangles from my dark brown colored felt to represent the top and bottom crusts of my pie slice. I wanted my pie slice to be 2 3/4" high so I cut out of dark brown felt 2 pieces that each measure 2 3/4" high by 4 1/2" long. These serve as my 2 long sides of my pie slice. Next, I cut out of dark brown felt a piece that measures 2 3/4" by 3" for my back piece. Out of white felt, I cut out 5 strips that measure the length of my felt sheet by 1/4" wide that will be used to make the whipped cream. Finally out of a scrap piece of red felt, I cut a circle that measures 2 1/2" in diameter to be used for my cherry.

You will first assemble all of your dark brown felt pieces. Simple sew them all together into a wedge shape by hand stitching them together (I used a blanket stitch) or by machine sewing them and inserting some fiber fill stuffing inside so it holds it shape.

Next, hand or machine gather the white felt strips. I tightly gathered mine and then I hand sewn them to the top of my pie slice which took about 15 minutes. Once I had them on, I took 2 strands of red embroidery floss and did a running stitch around the edge of my red felt circle and gathered it up with a little stuffing inside it. I then sewed that to the top of my pie. (see photo)

Simple, Quick and Effective. Its not fancy and elaborate but it serves its purpose!

You can find additional free patterns for felt food ---> HERE

Happy Crafting!


1 comment:

Sophia M said...

OH MY! Are you kidding me? I LOVE this felt item. Oh my gosh it's making my mouth-water and it's not even freakin' real!

Post a Comment

Thank You For Leaving Me A Message! Happy Crafting :)