Thursday, April 29, 2010

Felt Food - Sliced Blueberry Pie - Play Food Pattern


I wanted to make a few different sliced pie pieces for my grand daughters felt food play set that I have been making and today I decided to try to make a slice of blueberry pie. This was my second attempt at making a slice of pie and over-all, it came out pretty good. Its not fancy and elaborate, just simply thrown together.

I did not use a pattern to make it so I will tell you how I did it so you can make one yourself.

Felt Sliced Blueberry Pie - Supplies Used:

Dark Blue and Tan Eco Felt
Dark Blue and Tan Embroidery Floss
2 1/2 hand fulls of stuffing
Embroidery Needle, Scissors

I started off by drawing a triangle on a piece of paper. Mine measures approx. 4 1/2" long by 3" wide at its widest point. However, you can make yours as small or as large as you would like.

I used this triangle to cut out 2 triangles from my tan colored felt to represent the top and bottom crusts of my pie slice. I wanted my pie slice to be 2 3/4" high so I cut out of dark blue felt 2 pieces that each measure 2 3/4" high by 4 1/2" long. These serve as my 2 long sides of my pie slice. Next, I cut out of tan felt a piece that measures 2 3/4" by 3" for my back piece. Also out of tan felt I cut a strip that measures 1/2" by 8" in length, this piece serves as my rippled crust piece on the pie slice. Out of dark blue felt, I cut five 2" diameter circles (to use as blueberries along the sides and a 1 1/2" diameter circle out of dark blue felt for my little blueberry that is on top of the pie slice.

Lay your 2 dark blue side pieces out in front of you and pick up one of your 2" diameter felt circles. I made a running stitch around the edge of the circle using dark blue floss and lightly pulled on the floss to gather it up slightly. I took just a tad of stuffing and placed it on one of my side pieces of felt and placed the little felt circle on top and hand stitched it to the side. (sounds difficult but it really isn't, I think my photo shows this better than I can explain). I did this 3 times on one side piece and 2 times on the other side piece. I then used 2 strands of tan embroidery floss and stitched both of the dark blue sides onto my tan triangle that will be my top crust of the pie slice. Next, I attached the tan backing piece and then attached the bottom crust tan triangle. Note: Right before closing up the pie slice, insert your stuffing so that it holds it shape and then fasten off.

For my rippled crust piece, I gathered up my tan strip that I had cut out earlier and using 2 strands of tan embroidery floss, I made little stitches and attached it to the top of my pie slice.

For a little finishing touch, I took a 1 1/2" diameter dark blue felt circle and tightly gathered it up with some stuffing inside it and then stitched it to the top of my pie slice. (see photo)

Simple, Quick and Effective. Its not fancy and elaborate but it serves its purpose!

You can find additional free patterns for felt food ---> HERE

Happy Crafting!



1 comment:

Darlene said...

One of my favorite kinds of pie. Another great idea Shelly.

Post a Comment

Thank You For Leaving Me A Message! Happy Crafting :)