Thursday, January 28, 2010

Decoupage - How To Make A Valentine's Day Flower Vase


I just love crafting up new items for Valentine's Day and a few days ago I decided to decorate a new vase for myself...after all, hubby will be getting me some Valentine's Day flowers to put inside it (usually white roses).

Decoupage Valentine's Day Glass Vase

This is a very easy project. Here is how I made my vase:

Tissue Paper- Dark Pink, Light Pink, White and Red
Decoupage Medium - Glossy Finish
Clear Mica Glitter
Foam Brush
Newspaper (cover your work surface)
Glass Vase

I first started by washing and drying my vase. I then took some rubbing alcohol over it and left it air dry for several minutes. While it was drying, I ripped up my tissue paper into a variety of shapes and sizes.

In a small glass bowl, I added 4 tablespoons of decoupage and 1/2 teaspoon of water. I like to add just a tad of water so its not as thick. Using my foam brush, I layered on a thin coat of decoupage medium onto one side of my vase. I then used my ripped up tissue paper and just layered it on in a pattern that I liked. You will repeat this process for all sides and the bottom of your vase. You will want to let it dry for 1-2 hours. Once dry, use your foam brush to layer a top coat onto the tissue paper and let it dry for an additional 1-2 hours.

Optional: After I coated my vase with the top coat layer, I chose to sprinkle on some mica glitter. If you want to add the glitter, make sure you sprinkle it on while the decoupage medium is still wet.

Now you have a beautiful vase for Valentine's Day!

~ Happy Crafting ~


6 comments:

Unknown said...

How beautiful and what a great way to decorate a vase!

ShellyH said...

thanks Donna! I have a slew of vases (too many hospital visits to count) and I had a ton of left-over tissue paper that I save when I get gifts...great project to use them up!

Sophia M said...

If I remembered correctly we did something similar to this in elementary school where we decorated jars or large tin cans. My pen holder is a large tin soup can decorated with colourful tissues of different sizes.

Your vase is beautiful.

Free Pretty Things For You said...

too cute ! i love Decopauge!

Amy said...

It's so cute, I love it!!

My Home said...

Hi Shelly,
What a beautiful vase, so festive for Valentines.
I love the fact that you use things you already have.

I see you also live in Pennsylvania, I live in Hermitage...sort of near Pittsburgh.

You mentioned doing a gurst project..that sounds great but I would have no idea how to go about it. Right now we are on our way to Florida to finsh the winter there. Lets get together in the spring and do this. Thanks Terry

Post a Comment

Thank You For Leaving Me A Message! Happy Crafting :)