Thursday, November 19, 2009

Country-Style Wooden Cosmetic Brush Holder Craft Project


Last year I was looking around for a cosmetic brush organizer that would fit with the theme of my guest bathroom, but to no avail, I couldn't find a country-styled organizer so I decided to make my own.

I went to our local craft supply store and purchased an unfinished wooden caddie with handle and decided to stain it with wood stain and then decoupage a country design on top.

You can keep your organizer in your bathroom cabinet, under your vanity or on your counter top. I think they would also look cute holding your pens and pencils on your desk top too!

Supplies Needed

1 unfinished wooden caddy measuring 3 1/2" wide by 5 1/2" tall
wood stain (I chose a dark walnut stain)
old cotton cloth or rag
1 small piece of fine sandpaper
Mod Podge (decoupage glue and sealer)
foam paint brush
gift wrap or paper designs (I used country gift wrap with quilted hearts)
scissors
several sheets of newspaper

You will want to cover your work surface with several sheets of newspaper.

Step 1: Lightly sand your wooden caddy if necessary to make sure its smooth and ready for staining. Apply a small amount of stain to a cotton cloth and rub it evenly onto the wood surfaces until they are covered. Let them dry for at least two hours.

Step 2: While your caddy is drying, cut out desired design from gift wrap paper. I found country gift wrap with a pretty heart pattern on it at my local dollar store. You will want to trim close to the edges of the design.

Step 3: Apply some Mod Podge to your foam brush and cover one panel of your caddy at a time with a thin layer of the Mod Podge Glue. Apply your design (hearts) and let dry for 30 minutes. Once dry, apply the Mod Podge on top of your designs and wooden areas to seal them which also gives them a glossy appearance once dried.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Leaving Me A Message! Happy Crafting :)