Saturday, May 11, 2013

Trash to Treasure Craft Project - Wooden Scrapbooking Paper Organizer


The Photo Above is how it looked when I purchased it. Ewwww!

Last month we went to the Flea Market and while I was there I spotted this really ugly, puke green office paper organizer. It kind of looks like it came from a 1970's office and was used for holding mail or paper. Not really sure which! It was in terrible shape and was painted an ugly puke green color. It had a ton of nicks and scratches too!

The asking price was $10.00 but I asked the man if he would take $3.00 and it was sold! I brought that thing home and got to work on it. I knew it would make the perfect wooden wall shelf to hold all of my 8 1/2" by 11" sheets of scrapbooking paper.

We are still remodeling my sewing & craft room and I know this will look fabulous in there once we are done.

The first thing I did was wipe it down...it was filthy dirty! Once it was dry, I took a palm sander around all four of it's sides. I couldn't get the palm sander into each of the cubby holes so I ignored those during the sanding process.

Once it was done being sanded, I took a spray can of white primer and sprayed the entire thing with two cuts of primer. I left it dry for 24 hours. Once it was dry, I painted the entire thing with white matte indoor paint. Once try, I sprayed it with an acrylic sealer. I left the sealer dry for 24 hours and it was done!
The Photo above shows the new and improved scrapbooking paper organizer! Yay!

As soon as my craft/sewing room is finished, this will be hung up onto the wall near my scrapbooking table. Now all of my smaller scrapbooking papers will be organized by color hue and perhaps size. Each cubby hole will hold an entire 8 1/2" by 11" sheet. Yay!!!

I need to hit the Flea Market again next week and look for some more things that I can transfer into useful things in my craft & sewing room. Enjoy!