Friday, May 24, 2013

Gossipy Neighbors

Thanks for the guest post by Jo Levy

My neighbors are the biggest gossipers. When Sherry down the street got pregnant (she’s not married) they were the first ones to tell me about it and when the principal of my son’s school got fired they knew about it before the newspapers did, somehow!

I always worry about what they’ve observed about me that they’re telling everyone else so I try to keep my nose down and not gossip about anyone else to them in case they tell them I’ve been talking about them. They sometimes have really good helpful information, though, like when they told me about the new consignment store set to come in at the mall. And they knew about ambit energy for Ben Franklin Residents before it was ever announced on the state’s utilities website and that saved my husband and I a bundle of money on our electric bill.

But at the end of the day I know I can’t trust them at all so I try not to tell them anything too personal about me so they won’t know anything that they can use against me. They’re good women at heart but they don’t work or anything so I know they’re just bored at the end of the day.

My son plays with one of their sons regularly so I’m definitely considered “part of the group” I think, but here in Texas you have to be careful about which group you’re in! My mom was one of these women when I was younger, I remember, and now that I’m older I’m striving to be a little more civilized than all that. It’s easier said than done though and it’s hard not to get swept up in all the gossip. It’s an interesting way to spend a morning but I don’t think it’s the best use of my time when I’ve got bills to pay and calendars to look at and soccer games to attend, you know what I mean!