Sunday, January 16, 2011

Play Food - FREE Pattern For Felt Fish, Felt Burger & Felt Chicken Leg

For the past year I have been super busy making play food aka felt food for my little grand daughter's kitchen play set so last weekend I decided to make her a few felt dinner items. I made her a hamburger pattie, piece of fish and a chicken leg (drum stick) for her to use with her kitchen set.

I was able to make all 3 of them pretty quickly. You can hand sew them together with blanket stitches or sew the pieces together via a sewing machine...the choice is yours.

To Make The Felt Fish:

1 sheet of vanilla colored felt
vanilla embroidery floss
small amount of stuffing

I simple hand drew out a fish shape onto paper. Mine measures 5" long by 1 1/2" at the tail and 2 1/4" at the body by 2" at the head...just to give you a rough measurement. I cut out 2 body pieces and then 1 strip that measures 1/4" by the circumference of my fish. Using 2 strands of embroidery floss and a blanket stitch, I attached the strip to one body piece. I then attached the other body piece to the other side of the strip. Right before closing, I inserted some poly fiber fill stuffing. Don't over fill it or it will get too puffy on you. Finish your stitching and fasten off.

Picture shows me hand sewing the strip onto the fish body.

To Make The Felt Hamburger Pattie:

1 sheet of dark brown colored felt
dark brown embroidery floss
small amount of stuffing

I made a circle pattern by tracing around the bottom of a 4" diameter drinking glass. You will need to cut 2 circles from brown felt. You will need 1 piece of brown felt strip that measures 1/4" by the circumference of your circle. Using 2 strands of embroidery floss and the blanket stitch, attach the strip to one of your circles. Once it has been connected, attach the other circle to the other side of the strip. Right before closing, insert some stuffing to give it a puffy burger shape, then fasten off.

To Make The Felt Chicken Drumstick:

1 tan colored piece of felt and small amount of vanilla colored felt
tan & vanilla colored embroidery floss
small amount of stuffing

I drew out a chicken drumstick shape that measures approximately 5" long by 2 1/2" wide at it's widest point. I cut 2 of these shapes from tan felt. I then cut 2 bone ends using my paper pattern from vanilla felt. (see photo). Using 2 strands of vanilla floss, I hand stitched on the vanilla bone pieces onto the end of my tan piece using tiny whip stitches. You will do this for each piece (sides). Once done, place the wrong sides together (if hand sewing), use 2 strands of tan embroidery floss and whip stitch or blanket stitch the 2 pieces together. Right before closing insert a small amount of stuffing inside, finish stitching & fasten off.

There you have it...3 more pieces to your felt foodie collection. I will be posting many more FREE patterns over the next several months so keep checking back or follow my blog via Google Friend Connect to stay updated. Enjoy!


Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Leaving Me A Message! Happy Crafting :)