Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Play Food - How To Make A Felt Sandwich Free Pattern


As part of my ongoing series on how to make felt play food for your little girl to play with...here is my next installment which is a delicious looking sandwich which consists of: 2 slices of bread, piece of cheese, lettuce, bologna and a tomato slice. All of these pieces are made from felt.

To Make The Bread Slices:

You will need 2 sheets of white felt and 1 sheet of tan felt
White cotton embroidery floss
low-loft quilt batting

Pattern: I made my own pattern by tracing around a slice of bread onto a piece of printer paper. Once you have your shape, cut out on your traced line.

Cutting The Felt: Using your paper bread slice pattern, cut two pieces from white felt. For the bread crust, you will need a tan colored strip of felt that measures 1/4" wide by the circumference of your bread slice. I also added a 1/4" to my circumference measurement so that I could over-lap my seam while sewing.

Hand-Sewing: I used 2 strands of cotton embroidery floss for all of my stitching. Starting at the bottom of your bread slice, blanket stitch the tan felt strip to the white bread slice. You will want to blanket stitch the whole way around and fasten off. Place your other white piece of felt on top and blanket stitch it to the tan felt but stop once you reach the last corner. I cut down a piece of quilt batting to measure slightly smaller than my bread shape. I folded it in half and placed it inside my sandwich. Once it was flat inside the sandwich, I finished my blanket stitching and then fastened it off.

You will need to make 2 complete bread slices.


To Make The Cheese Slice:

My cheese slice measures 4" square, you can make them any size you would like. You will need 2 squares cut from yellow felt. You will also need yellow embroidery thread and a sewing needle. Place the squares together and use a blanket stitch and go around all 4 sides of the cheese slice. When I do the stitching, I use 2 strands of cotton embroidery floss.

To Make The Bologna Slice:

Make a circle pattern by tracing around a 3 1/2" diameter drinking glass. You will need two 3 1/2" diameter circles cut from pink felt. Using two strands of pink embroidery floss, blanket stitch the two circles together to make your bologna slice.

To Make The Lettuce Leaf:

I drew a 4" diameter square onto printer paper and then used scissors to cut out what looked like lettuce. Basically, you just round off your square in an uneven scalloped edge cutting. Trace that shape onto two pieces of olive green felt and cut them out. Place the two shapes together and then use two strands of olive green cotton embroidery floss and blanket stitch around the edges.

To Make The Tomato Slice:

You will need 1/2 sheet of red felt and a 1/4 sheet of pink felt. For my pattern, I traced around a drinking glass to make a 3 1/2" diameter circle. I then traced that circle onto two pieces of red felt and one pink piece of felt. I then used my scissors to cut just a tad off of the pink felt so that my pink circle was slightly smaller than my two red felt circles. On a piece of scrap paper, I hand drew a tear drop shape that measures just shy of 1" in length. I used this tear drop paper pattern to cut four tear drops out of the center of one red felt piece (see photo).

Next, sandwich the three pieces together (the two red pieces on the outside and the pink between them). Using two strands of red embroidery floss, blanket stitch around the outer edge of your tomato slice. Once finished, use two strands of floss and tiny whip stitches to whip stitch around the tear drop shaped cut outs but just connect the stitch to the pink felt, don't go all the way through to the back.

That's it! A pretty easy way to make a felt sandwich for your faux food toy play sets!

You can find the rest of my faux foodie patterns ---> HERE Please click on FOLLOW MY BLOG so that you will be notified of new faux foodie patterns. I try to post a new one every week to 10 days :)

~ Happy Crafting ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Leaving Me A Message! Happy Crafting :)