Thursday, January 7, 2010

Play Food - How To Make Felt Carrots For Your Foodie Play Set


Here is my next installment on how you can make felt carrot slices and a whole carrot for your felt foodie little girls kitchen play sets. The carrot slices are hand sewn and the whole carrot is machine sewn.

Supplies Needed To Make Both Items:

Light Orange, Dark Orange and Dark Green Felt
Orange Embroidery Floss
Small Amount of Poly-Fiber Fill Stuffing
Sewing Machine and Basic Sewing Supplies
Scissors

Carrot Slices: You will need to draw a 1 1/2" diameter circle and a 1" diameter circle onto printer paper. These will serve as your patterns. From dark orange felt, cut two of the 1 1/2" diameter circles and from your light orange felt, cut one of the 1" diameter circles. Using a tiny whip stitch, attach the light orange circle to the center of one of your dark orange circles by stitching around the edge. Once completed, lay the second dark orange circle under it and use two strands of orange embroidery floss and blanket stitch around to attach both circles to one another. Right before you finish, add just a tad of fiber-fill and then finish your blanket stitch.

Large Whole Carrot: On printer paper, free hand a semi-triangular shape to represent your carrot. Mine measures 6 1/4" long by 2 1/4" wide at its widest point. I was able to easily free hand my triangular shape. This will now serve as your pattern. Pin pattern to a double layer of orange felt and cut out. Using your sewing machine, sew around the pattern using a 1/4" seam allowance, leaving the top open (un-sewn). Using 2 strands of embroidery floss and a sewing needle, hand gather to top edge, right before fastening it off, stuff some fiber fill down into the carrot, then pull gathering tight and fasten off. From dark green felt, I cut four strips that measure approximately 1/4" wide by 5" long. I center each strip over the top of the carrot and hand stitched them into place using cotton embroidery floss. If you feel they are too long, you can shorten them.

You can find the rest of my felt foodie patterns ---> HERE I will be posting many more to my blog during the next few weeks so please follow my blog or bookmark it so you can find them.

~ Shelly ~

This pattern, photo and instructions are copyright 2010 by Shelly Hill, All Rights Reserved. If you would like to reprint my instructions and pattern, please contact me. You may post a link to my site/blog post from yours but you can not use my photo or text without my permission.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Leaving Me A Message! Happy Crafting :)