Friday, January 22, 2010

How To Make Fabric Strawberries With Sparkles


A few weeks ago I decided to make some strawberries out of some red cotton fabric that I had left over from another sewing project. With spring coming, I thought they would look cute sitting in a ceramic bowl on my counter top. After I completed them, I covered them in some sparkly German Glass Glitter so they actually look beaded (and beautiful).

Here is what you will need to make them:

5" circle template
red and green cotton fabric
poly fiber-fill stuffing
green embroider floss and sewing needle
sewing machine and basic sewing supplies
German Glass Glitter
Mod Podge and a Foam Brush
Scissors

I used a round jar candle to make my 5" circle template pattern. Once you have your paper pattern, cut your circle in half. Using your half circle, cut out 2 pieces from your red fabric.

Fold your half circle in half as shown in the below photo and pin into place.

Using your sewing machine that has been set on the straight stitch, sew down the one straight edge of your fabric. (the wrong side of your fabric should be facing outward).

Your strawberry should now look like this:

Turn your strawberry right side out. Using thread and a hand sewing needle, run a gathering stitch through the top edges. Pull the gathering thread to help cinch up the top and stuff some poly fiber fill inside...then finish pulling your threads up and fasten off.




Now you can make your strawberry caps as plain or as fancy as you would like. I opted to go for plain...so I just drew an X shape onto a piece of paper and used it as my template. I then cut them out of green fabric.

I centered my green X's over the top of my strawberries and used green embroidery floss to attach them (by hand) with little tiny stitches. If desired, you can thread a 1 1/2" piece of 6-strand floss up through the center of your X to make a stem (I did) and knot it underneath before attaching the cap to your strawberry.

Once I had all of my strawberries done, I glittered them with some German Glass Glitter. I poured a little matte finish Mod Podge into a bowl and added 1 teaspoon of water to it. Using a sponge brush...I brushed this mixture over my berries. While it was still wet, I sprinkled a lot of 'fine grade' German Glass Glitter onto them and then set them onto a baking sheet to dry.

Now when I make strawberries I will do them in 3 sizes....after all, strawberries are never all the same size. I like to do 3", 4" and 5" diameter 1/2 circles for my templates.

~ Happy Crafting ~

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So cute! I love those.

Post a Comment

Thank You For Leaving Me A Message! Happy Crafting :)