Sunday, December 20, 2009

How To Make A Variety Of Felt Cookies and Cookie Canister Set


I have a 7 month old grand daughter and I have been on a mission the past few weeks to make her a slew of play groceries for her kitchen set that I plan on purchasing for her on her third birthday. I have been making things and packing them away in a plastic bin.

During the past few days...I made her a cookie canister along with 4 different kinds of cookies...made from craft felt.


Cookie Canister - I saved a plastic container from Nestle Powder Cocoa and soaked the label off of it. I measured around the canister and added on a 1/4" to that measurement to get the width of my tan colored felt band. My band measures 2 1/2" high. Using 2 strands of dark brown embroidery floss, I stitch on the word "Cookies" on the front (center) of my felt band. Using my sewing machine and tan thread, I attached the 2 short ends together to form a band. I then used 2 strands of dark brown embroidery floss and did a blanket stitch around the top and bottom edges of my felt band. I then slid this down into position on my plastic canister.

The lid of the container is rectangular in shape, so I cut a piece of tan felt and glued it onto place. I cut a 1" circle from tan felt and did a blanket stitch around the edges using dark brown embroidery floss. I used my hole punch and punched out 4 circles from a scrap piece of dark brown felt to resemble chocolate chips and glue them onto my tan circle. I then glued this faux chocolate chip cookie to the top of my canister. Your cookie canister is now complete.


For all of my cookies, I made them small, the size you would get in one of those 100 calorie snack packs as I wanted them to 'fit' onto little girls play dishes, I didn't want them REAL people size.

Chocolate Chip Cookies: From tan felt, cut two 1 3/4" circles. Cut 12 tiny circles (the size of a pencil eraser) from dark brown felt to resemble your chocolate chips. Using 2 strands of tan colored embroidery floss, blanket stitch the two circles together...right before you get the entire circumference around, lightly stuff some poly-fiber fill stuffing inside the cookie. You just want a 'tad' of stuffing and then finish your blanket stitching. Using some white craft glue, adhere 6 of the little dark brown felt circles on each side of your chocolate chip cookie.

Chocolate Sandwich Felt Cookies: From dark brown felt, cut two 1 3/4" circles. From white felt, cut a band that measures 1/4" by 5" in size. This white band will be your cookie filling. Using 2 strands of dark brown embroidery floss, add some french knots to one side of each of your dark brown felt cookie pieces. This adds a little design to the cookie to make it look a little more realistic. Now using 2 strands of dark brown embroidery floss, do a blanket stitch to connect the white cookie filling to one of the dark brown cookie pieces. Once you have that assembled, finish up by using the blanket stitch to attach the other dark brown circle to your half way made cookie...Right before you finish stitching, insert some poly-fiber fill stuffing inside and then finish your stitching.

Chocolate Sandwich Cookie with Strawberry Filling: Do the same steps as the Chocolate Sandwich Cookie above...except use light pink felt instead of white felt.

Peanut Butter Felt Cookies: From tan felt, cut two 1 3/4" circles. From tan felt, cut a band that measures 1/4" by 5" in size. Using 2 strands of tan embroidery floss, make some straight stitches on one side of a piece of tan felt circle. These stitches are to resemble the 'fork' cross-hatch pattern made on peanut butter cookies. (see picture for design). Once that is done, use 2 strands of tan embroidery floss and the blanket stitch to attach your tan felt band to one of your tan felt circles. Once it is attached, use the blanket stitch to attach the other tan felt circle. Right before you close up your cookie, insert a 'tad' of poly-fiber fill stuffing and then finish up your blanket stitching.

Notes: I found it best to cut out all of my felt pieces before I even got started. Next, you only want to use a 'tad' of poly-fiber fill stuffing, if you over-stuff your cookies, they look too puffy...you want them flattened. Finally, my empty plastic cocoa container will hold approximately 18 of these little cookies.

You can find additional faux food felt patterns and designs ---> HERE

This project, instructions, pattern and photographs are copyright 2009 by Shelly Hill. You can not reprint this project on your web site without my permission. However, you can link to my project (blog) if you would like.

~ Shelly ~

1 comment:

Tara Burner said...

toooo cute and kudo's to the upcycling of the canister! :)

Post a Comment

Thank You For Leaving Me A Message! Happy Crafting :)