Monday, March 2, 2015

Coastal Beach Treasures Glass Display Canister

I love the beach...everything and anything that has to do with the beach! Luckily for me, we live 3 1/2 hours from the Atlantic coast and also have a summer house at the Jersey Shore. Since I love the beach, I decorate the inside and outside of my home in a coastal decor.

Every time we are down at the Jersey Shore I spend quite a bit of time walking on the beach and collecting beach treasures. Over the years I've gotten some beautiful seashells, sand dollars, starfish, sea glass and other found treasures from the mighty Atlantic Ocean.

For years I placed these treasures into a large wicker basket and just stored them. The past few months I have been getting them out and decorating my home with them. I've got large shells, sand dollars, star fish, driftwood and other items on shelves, tables and in curio cabinets.

With that said, I needed a way to display all of those tiny shells, sea glass and tumbled smooth beach stones. After all, these little items are just as beautiful as the larger shells that people collect.

I went to the flea market a few weeks ago and found a large glass canister that measures 14 1/2" tall. I wanted something that was clear glass so that the inside contents could be seen from all four sides. I picked it up and paid $1.00 and was happy as a clam (pun intended). I brought it home and gave it a good overall cleaning.

I filled it up with all of my little beach treasures that I've personally collected over the years. If you look closely at my photos you will see small pebbles, smooth rocks, several pieces of beautiful sea glass and some very tiny seashells. Aren't they pretty? I think so!

Next week I am going to go out to the craft store and purchase some 1/4" diameter white rope and tie it around the neck of the canister. I am then going to attach a real 2 1/2" diameter sand dollar that hubby found on the beach for me 2 years ago. I brought it home and preserved it myself. I am going to glue that sand dollar onto the center of the white roping. I will post an updated photo of it completely finished one day next week.

So, as you head off on vacation this Spring and Summer...don't forget to walk the beach and collect all of those tiny pieces of stones, seashells and beach glass. Bring them home and display them in a nice glass canister for the world to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Leaving Me A Message! Happy Crafting :)