Friday, March 22, 2013

Craft Project :: Straw Hat with Silk Sunflowers for your Front Door

Some of you know that I have a 26 year old daughter who recently wasn't very crafty. However, for the past 6 or 7 months she has finally jumped into the crafting world. Well, my aunt who lives out on a farm in the country wanted something new to hang on her front door so my daughter got busy making her this straw hat with silk sunflowers. This was the first time my daughter ever made something like this and frankly, I think it turned out pretty well.

My daughter told me I could take a photo and share her project with all of you. Here is how she made it. (note: you can click on the photo in this post to enlarge it to see details).

She purchased a large straw or wicker hat at the local craft store along with a 4 stems of large silk sunflowers and 5 smaller silk sunflowers. She purchased a spool of navy blue fabric ribbon that measures 1" in width that had a sunflower print on it. She also picked up a bag of spanish moss.

She first glued the spanish moss around the hat using a hot glue gun. She then measured around the hat and cut that amount off of the ribbon and glued that around the hat. She then glued on her large and small silk sunflowers (as shown in the photo). She used the remaining sunflower print ribbon to make a bow and glued that on to the bottom of the hat.

She did use a piece of scrap wire which she twisted into a loop and hot glued it to the back of the wicker hat so that our aunt could hang it up on her front door. I think it looks pretty on her brick red colored front door.

I am so excited that my daughter has finally jumped into the crafting world and I am looking forward to seeing what she comes up with next! yeah!