Friday, July 23, 2010

Crochet Plarn Placemat Pattern - Reusing Plastic Grocery Bags


Here is my Trash to Treasure project for July. You will want to save all of your plastic retail and grocery store shopping bags to make this project. Once you have 35-40 plastic bags saved, you can make some plarn and crochet a placemat.

I made 4 placemats for my brother for them to use in their camping trailer and I made a 5th one for him to use under his dog food dish for his dog. Plarn is made out of plastic shopping bags and once you make your plarn, you can crochet with it. These placemats are super easy to make and all you have to do is rinse them under some tap water to clean them up.

Click Here for a you tube video on how to make plarn.
Click Here for a web site that will teach you how to make plarn.

For these placemats, each one took about 40 plastic bags to make. I used a size J crochet hook and simply made them with single crochet stitches.

To Start the Plarn Placemat:

I simply made 58 chain stitches, I then did a SC in the second chain from my hook and single crochet in each stitch across. Once I got to the end, I chained one, turn and then SC in each stitch across. You will repeat this pattern until your placemat reaches the size that you desire. Mine are 40 rows high for the regular placemats and for the pet dish bowl placemat, I did 36 rows high.

You can make the placemats as wide or as high that you would like to make them.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Leaving Me A Message! Happy Crafting :)