Friday, January 15, 2010

How To Make A Primitive Wax Dipped Wooden Star


I just love primitive and/or country home decor...so I wanted some new things for my primitive fix'ins basket and decided to make a few items myself. For this project, I had my hubby cut me out some wooden stars from 1/8" thick pine wood...you could go to your local craft store and buy unfinished wood shapes pretty cheaply.

I then purchased an inexpensive votive candle making wax kit at the craft store...instead of making votives...I melted down the wax (following the directions that came in the kit) and dipped my wooden stars into it. I had to use an old pair of tongs to dip them and then laid them on aluminum foil to harden. My wax kit came with 3 scented oils...vanilla, gingerbread and pumpkin...so I chose to use the vanilla with the white colored wax.

Once they hardened, I took some homespun fabric scraps and cut them into 1/2" wide strips and tied them around my wax dipped wooden stars.

I have several of these stars now sitting in one of my prim baskets that is filled with rose hips, pinecones and some dried pods.

~ Shelly ~

1 comment:

Denise Kline said...

Thats a great idea! I may have to try that sometime!

Post a Comment

Thank You For Leaving Me A Message! Happy Crafting :)