Saturday, December 19, 2009

Primitive Style Mini Christmas Stocking Holiday Ornaments


If you are looking for an easy sewing project that will use up some of your scrap fabrics left-over from various Christmas and Holiday sewing projects, you should consider making some of these cute Primitive-Style stocking tree ornaments.

In only a few hours, I was able to make up a dozen of them to attach to my holiday packages.

Supplies Needed:

Cotton Fabric Scraps
Warm & Natural Cotton Batting Scraps
Homemade Coffee Stain (see below)
Scissors
Foam Paint Brush
Modge Podge (Matte or Gloss Finish)
Sewing Machine and Basic Sewing Supplies
Clear German Glass Glitter
Embroidery Floss (for hanging loop)

Note: If you don't have any German Glass Glitter, you can use clear Mica Flakes.

Pattern: I made my own pattern by drawing just a basic elongated sock shape. Mine measures 5" long by 1 1/2" wide (neck of sock) by 2 3/4" wide (heel to toe) to give you some ideas on size. My cotton batting piece measures 1 3/4" high by 4 1/8" wide.

Sewing: Sandwich the cotton batting piece inside of the two stocking pieces, right sides together and pin into place. Using the straight stitch on your sewing machine, stitch around the entire stocking (the 2 sides and the bottom) but leave the top (cuff area) open. Once finished, turn your stocking inside out so that the right sides are now on the outside.

Coffee Staining: I like the aged look so I decided to coffee stain mine. I added 3 tablespoons of instant coffee to 1/2" cup of warm water in my spray bottle and left it sit for a few minutes to dissolve. I lined my cookie sheet with a piece of waxed paper and lightly sprayed the coffee stain onto my ornament. I left it dry for 30 minutes and turned it over and repeated this step again. If you like them lightly stained, just spray a little of the stain...if you like them really grubby and dark, spray a lot of the coffee stain (a good soaking).

Applying Glitter and Stiffening: In a small glass dish mix together 2 tablespoons of Modge Podge (I used Matte finish) with 1/2 teaspoon of tap water. Using your foam sponge paint brush, lightly apply the mixture all over the front of your stocking. While it is still wet, sprinkle on a little bit of the clear German Glass Glitter onto the cuff of the stocking. Once it is dry, flip it over and repeat for the other side.

Finishing: To finish up your Primitive style stocking ornament, thread a sewing needle with 2 strands of embroidery floss and thread it through the top corner of your ornament to make a hanging loop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Leaving Me A Message! Happy Crafting :)