Thursday, December 17, 2009

Easy Baby Sock Snowman Ornament Pattern


I recently became a first time grandma to a little baby girl back in May 2009. Since that time, I have enjoyed making a slew of things for our grand daughter. My daughter was kind enough to give me some of Baby G's outgrown newborn knit socks to use in some craft projects. I quickly decided to make a cute and simple snowman sock ornament.

Ages: 8 and up with adult supervision.

Supplies Needed:

1 white infant sized knit sock
Scrap of red fleece fabric (hat and scarf)
2 small black buttons
Orange Sculpey Clay carrot shaped nose
White Craft Glue
Scissors
Sewing Thread (white, red and black)
Small amount of poly-fiber fill

I chose to turn the sock inside out as I liked the loopy texture of the sock. I then decided where I wanted to hand sew on the black button eyes and used black thread to sew them on. I firmly stuffed the sock with some poly fiber fill and then hand sewed the opening of the sock shut.

You can machine sew or hand sew a fleece hat...mine measures approximately 4" tall by the circumference of my snowman's head (plus a 1/2" for the seam allowance). I then sewed it into a tube shape. Using red thread, I gathered the hat and fastened it tightly. I then used scissors and cut some fringe. I glued the hat on top of my snowman's head.

To make his scarf, I simply cut a piece of red fleece measuring a 1/2" wide by 7" long and tied it around his neck. Finish up by gluing your Sculpey Clay carrot shaped nose to his face. You can decide if you want to sew on some tiny black seed beads for his mouth or leave it plain like I did.

I was going for a simple, easy and quick project. He is big enough to tuck into a basket, on a shelf or add a hanging string to be hung onto your holiday tree. I also made a little hang tag for mine that dates my ornament and states that it was made with Baby G's baby sock! I am hoping my daughter will pass it on to Baby G once she becomes an adult.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Leaving Me A Message! Happy Crafting :)